Friday, October 3, 2008

Greetings from China - writen on Wed. Oct. 1st

Hi Everyone - well we made it to Beijing yesterday (actually two days ago) about 3pm.  The flight was really long and a hard one - it must be age because neither of us remember struggling with the flight that much on past trips.

Madelin did pretty well for the most part.  She did get sad about 1/2 way thru - I think at that point she was ready to get off the plane.  She cried a little saying how she missed home and wanted to go back.  But over all she did great!!!

That is until we landed.  Okay for those of you that know our family well you know that we have never experienced throw up with Madelin in all four years we have been together.  Well I can now say we have experienced it!!!

So the flight lands - everyone gets up and crowds the aisle.  I am standing in the aisle trying to get my bag out of the over head along with the other 5 thousand people.  Madelin says Mom - I turn around and she puts her head on my chest.  I thought she was just tired and then all of a sudden she starts throwing up.  I was covered from the neck down along with the seats, floor, some of our bags and the unlucky couple in front of us.  Thankfully they did not speak English so I had no idea what they were saying to me!!!  Ha Ha

She seemed to feel great after that.  I on the other hand am a sympathy puker - I hear it, smell it, see it - then I am in trouble.  So I had a very hard time - I could not change my clothes until we got to the hotel.  I think that was the best shower I have ever had in my entire life!!!

We are staying at the same hotel we stayed at 4 years ago - so we feel like we kind of know where we are.  Nelson our guide picked us up at the airport and drove us here.  It was very funny to watch Nelson and Greg trying to get our luggage in his tiny car.  Madelin was in heaven because this was the first time she got to ride in a car without a seat belt or car seat.  Mom was nervous to say the least.

It is very warm here - and the smog and humidity is very heavy.  We ended up getting a suite so we could have a little more room - which has been really nice.

We did have a man at the hotel that was very curious about us.  In the elevator he kept looking at me then at Greg and then at Madelin then back to me and so on.  Finally he said to me is she yours?  I said yes she is my daughter.  He looked very puzzled and then said that is very strange because she looks Chinese!!!  Then Madelin said yes we are Chinese Americans.  We walked off the elevator and I could not help but laugh - I looked back one more time before the doors closed and there he was shaking his head trying to figure the whole thing out.

We ended up going to bed about 7:30pm last night.  Madelin was still on the move but Greg and I were very tired.  Greg slept a little on the plane but I could not sleep at all.  Everyone slept well last night.  I did not think the beds were too bad here - but Greg said he woke up a lot because he hurt from the hard bed.  If he things these beds are hard - he is really going to feel it in Nanchang - those were the hardest beds I have ever been on.

This morning we got up and went to breakfast - lots of curious people there.  Its amazing to me how many people they have working in one place.  We had 6 people that would check on our table - so we pretty much had a staff member the whole time we were eating.

Then we all went for a walk and then to the local grocery store to pick up some drinks and some flip flop like shoes so he can take Madelin to the pool.  We then came back to the hotel and Madelin and Greg went swimming while I worked on setting up the computer.  If you want to use the swimming pools here you have to wear a swimming cap.  Madelin thinks that is the coolest thing.  Greg on the other hand has said I am not allowed to take pictures of him with his cap.  Total bummer!!!  Ha Ha.

The bad news is that Madelin is sick.  She woke up with a stuffed nose and now is loosing her voice.  I have some meds with me but not tons.  She is sleeping right now.  Her spirits are up even though she does not feel the best.

The rest of our travel groups should be here in the next half hour.  I plan to go downstairs to meet them.  Tomorrow we start touring.  Can't remember what we are doing tomorrow.

Tonight we are going to take Madelin bowling - they have an alley here in the basement.  It is the same hotel we stayed at with our first travel group.  It is bringing back a lot of memories.

We are so ready for Monday to come.  We just want to meet Molly.  Please keep up the thoughts and prayers.  We are so excited and of course very nervous.  We just hope she adjusts well to our family.  Madelin is seeming a little more excited about getting her sister.  Although she did ask me this morning while I was laying in bed with her - she said Mom you and I make such a great team why do you want to adopt another kid?

We will update more as we can.

Kari, Greg and Madelin
















No comments: